Malta court to hand over suspect in Polish beheading probe
PR dla Zagranicy
A court in Malta has agreed to hand over a suspect wanted by Polish police over the gruesome murder of a woman found beheaded in a Warsaw apartment.
Przemysław Nowak, a spokesman for the Prosecutor's Office in Warsaw. Photo: PAP/Paweł Supernak
After an international hunt, Polish police and local officers detained the suspect, a 27-year-old librarian, as he was getting out of a bus in Malta on Wednesday, according to Polish media reports, which added that the detained man had a knife in a rucksack.
Przemysław Nowak, a spokesman for the Prosecutor's Office in Warsaw, said he was pleased at the rapid decision by the Maltese court.
"We are pleasantly surprised by the speed of events – a speed that is unheard of in other European countries, including in Poland,” Nowak said.
He added that the suspect could be brought back to Poland within several days.
Firefighters were called to a flat in Warsaw's Żoliborz district earlier this month after a blaze there. They found the headless body of a young woman in a sack. A head was later found in a backpack in the same apartment.
Officers have suggested the blaze was a failed attempt to cover the murderer's tracks. (pk)
Source: IAR/Polish Radio