Kukiz-led presidential debate cancelled
PR dla Zagranicy
President Bronisław Komorowski's campaign staff have declined an invitation by erstwhile candidate Paweł Kukiz to take part in a debate with Law and Justice (PiS) candidate Andrzej Duda.
President Bronisław Komorowski campaigning in Wrocław, Tuesday. Photo: PAP/Maciej Kulczyński
Miłosz Lodowski, a member of Kukiz's campaign team, said that incumbent President Komorowski had not confirmed his attendance at the debate, which was slated for Friday.
Andrzej Duda had confirmed his attendance by 6.00 pm on Wednesday, Lodowski told Polish Radio.
Komorowski's team had shown some interest in attending the debate earlier this week. However, his campaign manager Robert Tyszkiewicz mooted on social media last week that “a debate between two politicians, moderated by a politician, is too much politics and not enough [civic engagement]”.
Komorowski and Duda already faced each other in a debate last Sunday, and are expected to meet each other for a second TV debate on private broadcaster TVN on Thursday.
Paweł Kukiz came in third in the 10 May first round of the presidential election, garnering over 20 percent of the ballot.
Lodowski told Polish Radio that the members of the electorate who voted for Kukiz are informed of the u-turn by Komorowski regarding the Friday debate, and will decide themselves what to do with their vote in the second round.
The second round of the presidential election will take place on Sunday. (rg)