Polish security guard in critical condition after tropical snake bite
PR dla Zagranicy
A 64-year-old Polish security guard is in intensive care after being bitten by what is believed to be a tropical snake in Łódż, central Poland.
A king cobra. Photo: wikimedia commons/ltshears
The incident occurred on a night shift several days ago, while the man was walking in the vicinity of one of the city's hospitals.
The man felt a sudden pain in his leg, but he played down the injury at first.
However, the next morning, the pain remained and he went to the doctor.
The 64-year-old's condition deteriorated over the following days and he was ultimately taken to the city's University Clinical Hospital.
According to specialists at the hospital, the man was bitten by a venomous snake of the Elapidae family.
The family includes various species of cobras.
However, Polish hospitals are only supplied with antitoxins to counteract the venom of European adders.
None of the Elapidae are indigenous to Poland, although some people keep tropical snakes as pets.
“His life is in immediate danger,” commented Doctor Waldemar Machała.
“If he survives, he will need to go through a very long period of rehabilitation.” (nh)