Poland to plough on despite EU court ban on logging
PR dla Zagranicy
"Protective" operations in Poland’s primaeval Białowieża forest will continue, the country’s environment minister said on Monday, despite an EU court decision ordering logging to be halted.
Photo: jingoba/ pixabay.com/ CC0 Public Domain
Environment Minister Jan Szyszko told reporters: "We are conducting protective measures to protect habitats and species... in the Białowieża Forest, in accordance with European Union law."
The Court of Justice of the EU last week issued a preliminary decision ordering logging to be halted in Białowieża, north-east Poland, one of Europe's last remaining primaeval forests.
Brussels had requested the court to issue an immediate ban, arguing that irreparable damage could be caused in the forest.
The EU court is to make a final decision after it considers Poland's arguments. The environment ministry in Warsaw has until 4 August to make its case.
Warsaw has said that trees are being cut down in the forest to stop a spruce bark beetle infestation.
The European Commission has deemed Poland’s explanations insufficient and wants the court to determine whether Warsaw is violating EU directives on habitats and birds.