26 Polish ‘escape rooms’ closed after fire tragedy
PR dla Zagranicy
Polish firefighters have closed down 26 escape rooms following safety checks after a blaze killed five teenagers in the northern city of Koszalin.
Candles and flowers at the scene of the tragedy on Sunday. Photo: PAP/Marcin Bielecki
Five girls, all aged 15, were celebrating a birthday in an interactive game room when the fire broke out last Friday, public broadcaster Polish Radio’s IAR news agency reported.
One man, aged 25, believed to be the moderator of the game, was taken to hospital with severe burns, according to Poland’s PAP news agency.
The agency also said that a 28-year-old man believed to have been running the escape room was detained and charged with negligent homicide.
According to some reports, the teenagers died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
A decision to hold nationwide inspections of escape rooms was announced by Interior Minister Joachim Brudziński in the wake of the blaze.
Firefighters are inspecting whether escape rooms meet fire safety requirements and have adequate escape routes.
All 1,100 escape rooms in Poland are to be checked by January 11, the IAR news agency reported.